Cook time: 2 days
Serves: 30 Empanadas
Ingredients & Items
- AXEL Chimichurri flavor of your choice
- AXEL Seasoning blend flavor of your choice
- 5lbs of Flour
- 2 Eggs for dough
- 2 Eggs for egg wash
- 2 Sticks butter
- 4 Tablespoons Salt or to taste (mix in hot water)
- .75 Liters hot water
- 4oz of White wine
- (Or, buy premade Empanada dough from store)
- 12 Sweet Onions
- 2 lbs of Chopped Top Sirloin (not ground)
- 1 Cup raisins (optional)
- 5 Eggs for hard boil (cut into quarters)
- 2x 12 Ounces of Pitted Black, drained
- 4 Tablespoons of AXEL Seasoning of your choice or to taste
- 2 Tablespoon of Olive oil to brown meat
- Paprika, cumin and chili powder
- Grill or Stovetop
- Big bowls
- Small bowl
- Rolling pin
- Measuring equipment
- Olive oil/Pan spray
- Parchment paper
- Baking trays
- Salt & Pepper
- Food brush
PREP: DAY BEFORE
- Dice onions, place in a bowl.
- Dice/Chop meat and place in the bowl, add seasoning.
- Place diced onion on a pan with 1 cup of water, add AXEL Seasoning blend of your choice, for 15 minutes. Drain after.
- Meanwhile, cook chopped seasoned meat in skillet, add salt and pepper to taste. 15 minutes.
- Add onions and meat together in a skillet and cook low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Let sit overnight to marinate properly.
- Place flour in a big bowl, shape like a volcano.
- Add salt to hot water, set aside.
- Whip the eggs, and add to the volcano and white wine. Mix well.
- SLOWLY add melted butter and warm water, incorporating slowly.
- Once the dough is uniform, take out of the bowl and knead until it’s a smooth texture.
- Cut big dough ball in two pieces, roll out one piece and cut into 15 pieces. Place other big pieces under the lightly damp rag.
MISE EN PLACE: Clean surface, place Pino bowl, water bowl, egg wash bowl+brush, hard-boiled eggs, rolling pin, and dough on the table.
- Roll out to have circular pieces 8in in diameter (Pro-tip: Invite people to help, roll out a bunch so the back-and-forth is minimized).
- Place Pino in rolled out dough piece. Add about 4 tablespoons or 1/3 of the size of the empanada. Make sure to leave Pino 1in away from the edge of the dough. Add 1 quarter of hard-boiled egg per empanada.
- Gently dip fingers in the water bowl and surround the edge of the dough. Bring over excess dough to seal empanada as a semi-circle shape. Very firmly press the dough together with care. (Pro-tip: firm place and seal edge 3-4 times, while finishing the last time by making sure the two edges are tightly sealed).
- Dip fingers in the water bowl and now cover the semi-circle empanada. Fold the top half of the semi-circle down 1 inch (not the Pino filled side). Gently press. Now, fold the two sides inwards as well 1 inch. The pointed edges that meet (the horn/spike looking part of the empanada) need to be twisted quarter turn.
- Lightly brush egg wash on top of empanada and place it on the tray with baking paper.
- Repeat the process until all Pino is gone. (Pro-tip: beginning baking as you complete sets of trays)
- Bake for 375F degree oven until golden.
- Make sure to enjoy with some Chilean red wine and your favorite AXEL Chimichurri sauce. (Pro-tip: Wrap individually and store in the freezer for later. Wrap in parchment paper and then aluminum)
- Serve & enjoy :)